Monday, November 12, 2007

Zimbra 1

I'm considering moving to Zimbra. I'm evaluating it on an Ubuntu Server test system and it was really easy to install. It's not like I just apt-got it but it very easy to download their tgz file (full of debs) and run their script. There's a guide on howtoforge. I had to trick it into thinking I was running Ubuntu 6, not 7. I got it authenticating off of my OpenLDAP server in 10 minutes:
ldap_filter:            (&(uid=%u))
ldap_search_base:       o=domain
I'm now trying to import a list of users. Since Zimbra uses OpenLDAP to store account data I think I'll have to use that as my interface. I'm able to export them:
openldap/sbin/slapcat -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf -l /tmp/ldap.ldif
But even if I used the last 14 lines of the ldif file I don't think I could just re-import the file. I might be able to feed the file to a script which would re-create the account in the mail store, but I'm speculating. Time to read more documentation. I want to pilot on multiple servers: and the Multi-Server Install guide says I only need one license (for my beloved MAPI and mobile users) - for the master LDAP server - and that I should respectively install the mailbox and MTA servers after the LDAP server. I now want to treat my pilot server as nothing but an LDAP server and delegate the mailbox and MTA duties to other servers. The Multi-Server Install guide describes how to set this up from scratch as opposed to upgrading from single to multiple servers so I'm looking to re-install.

No comments: