Wednesday, April 28, 2010

SSD Experiment

I've been considering experimenting with an SSD drive. I already have a 1T Seagate Barracuda. My plan is to get a 160G Intel X25-M SSD. On a hardware layer, it looks like it would work with my Dell Precision 690 using the SATA-300 interface. I also see that it includes a 3.5-inch bay adapter (given that a standard SATA drive is 3.5" and this is a a 2.5" drive). On a software layer, I would configure the two drives as follows:
  • 160G SSD:
    * 96G system drive with the following partitions:
    /                     10G
    /home                 10G
    /tmp                   5G
    /usr                  10G
    /var                  61G
    
    * 64G of cache/swap: I would like to use the extra speed for cache, not storage. Ideas:

    • Swap: The simplest thing is to swapon to it and then run a lot of VMs under KVM and see if performance for the VM is tolerable. If it is then its much cheaper than buying more RAM.

    • Disk Cache: If I were running ZFS I'd add the SSDs to the L2ARC on-disk cache.

    • Other types of Cache: Lots of ideas on this topic recently posted on slashdot.
  • 1T SATA:
    I would then use the remaining 1T for directories under /home and /var to store VMs (as raw LVs) as well media. I'd also keep an extra 20G of the SATA space free to play with new file systems.

No comments: